IB TOK - Teacher Support Pack - Unit 4: Bias in Shared Knowledge
This Teacher Support Pack is designed to assist you in the teaching of Unit 4, Bias in shared knowledge. It includes 22 lessons. The focus in this unit is on three areas of knowledge: Natural Sciences, History and Mathematics. They are all investigated in comparison and through the overarching concept of bias.
Refer to this table for a general overview of how Themantic chapters map onto linear TOK units:
With our teacher support packs, you buy yourself valuable time
All of our TSPs come with everything you need to teach the unit:
- Unit plan and lesson plans
- A student workbook where they take notes, write answers and do activities
- The teacher’s version of the same workbook, with suggested answers and teaching tips included
- PowerPoint presentations
- Activity resources (such as quizzes, handouts, in-class experiments)
The Teacher Support Pack saves you a lot of planning time! The idea is to give you 100 % ready made materials required for each lesson.
With our teacher support packs, you buy great teaching ideas
We have included a variety of activities to cater to all learning needs and styles:
- Purely discussion-based activities (such as debates, discussions with a verdict, mingling activities, court role-plays) as well as more structured activities (such as jigsaw reading, unscrambling tasks, gallery walks)
- Activities designed for different levels of learning: basic understanding of key concepts (such as revision quizzes, guessing games, sorting tasks) and higher-level skills of formulating arguments and connecting ideas (such as formulating implications, designing mind-maps, criticizing examples, debates)
- Activities designed to develop skills necessary for final assessment (TOK essay and TOK exhibition)
- Activities designed to explore students’ creative side, such as a thought experiment or creating a job resume on behalf of mathematics.
In the design of lessons, we follow the CHACER model that is based on modern pedagogical principles. Each lesson is designed so that students gradually move through three levels of learning: (1) knowledge and comprehension, (2) understanding and application, (3) thinking in the abstract. Each lesson has differentiation built into it.
Look at our lessons and use as is, or draw inspiration from them and design your own!If necessary, you can easily combine our materials with your own
Everything in our Teacher Support Packs is customizable should you wish to change it. We have included editable versions of all documents. Lesson plans are designed in such a way that you can regulate the amount of time spent on each activity, depending on your class dynamic. Different activities will cater to different learning preferences.
There’s always a little more than necessary so that you have some flexibility of choice!
What is covered in this Teacher Support Pack:
Unit 4. Bias in shared knowledge
Lesson 1: Naive theories
4.1. Bias in Natural Sciences
Lesson 2: Demarcation problem
Lesson 3: Falsifiability
Lesson 4: Scientific progress
Lesson 5: Underdetermination of scientific theories
Lesson 6: Theory-laden facts
Lesson 7: Verisimilitude
Lesson 8: Paradigm shifts
Lesson 9: Incommensurability
4.2. Bias in History
Lesson 10: Historical interpretation
Lesson 11: Historical perspectives
Lesson 12: Historical objectivity and historical facts
Lesson 13: Historical objectivity and rival interpretations
Lesson 14: Historical objectivity and ethics
Lesson 15: Heteroglossia
Lesson 16: Multiperspectivity
4.3. Bias in Mathematics
Lesson 17: Proof
Lesson 18: Axiomatic systems
Lesson 19: Discovered or invented? Truth in mathematics
Lesson 20: Consistency
Lesson 21: Mathematical realism
Lesson 22: Overview: bias in Mathematics, Natural Sciences and History
Don’t forget to read about our textbook and see the full range of currently available resources in our store.
Don’t forget to download the free preview of our textbook.
Prepared by an experienced TOK teacher, IB author, examiner and workshop leader, Alexey Popov.
- Author: Alexey Popov
- Status: Available now
- Delivery: Instant download
- Format: Digital (.pdf, .ppt, .docx, .mp4)
- License: School*