IB TOK - Teacher Support Pack - Unit 6: Knowledge and Language
This Teacher Support Pack is designed to assist you in the teaching of Unit 6, Knowledge and language. It includes 17 lessons. The unit starts with an investigation of the general knowledge questions about language (which may be used as a tool of thinking and a tool of communication), and then these ideas are applied to all five areas of knowledge (Natural Sciences, Human Sciences, Mathematics, History, the Arts).
Unit 6. Knowledge and Language
- 6.1. What is language?
- Lesson 1: Signals and signs
- Lesson 2: Meaning
- 6.2. Language and thought
- Lesson 3: Concepts
- Lesson 4: A priori and a posteriori concepts
- Lesson 5: Spacetime
- Lesson 6: Linguistic nativism
- Lesson 7: The continuity hypothesis
- Lesson 8: Mentalese
- 6.3. Language and communication
- Lesson 9: Sapir-Whorf hypothesis
- Lesson 10: Translation
- Lesson 11: Machine translation
- Lesson 12: Loaded language
- 6.4. Language in the areas of knowledge
- Lesson 13: The role of language in Natural Sciences
- Lesson 14: The role of language in Human Sciences
- Lesson 15: The role of language in History
- Lesson 16: The role of language in Mathematics
- Lesson 17: The role of language in the Arts
Refer to this table for a general overview of how Themantic chapters map onto linear TOK units:
Don’t forget to read about our textbook and see the full range of currently available resources in our store.
Don’t forget to download the free preview of our textbook.
Prepared by an experienced TOK teacher, IB author, examiner and workshop leader, Alexey Popov.
- Author: Alexey Popov
- Status: Available now
- Delivery: Instant download
- Format: Digital (.pdf, .ppt, .docx, .mp4)
- License: School*